Two broad divisions have been identified within the Safeguard unit of LAMATA. They are the Social and Environmental divisions. It is important that both divisions are integrated into the planning, design and implementation of road rehabilitation and maintenance works of LAMATA.
The Social section include five (5) distinct activities as follows:
- Socioeconomic impacts,
- Health and Safety
- Cultural/Religious and historical aspects
- Resettlement and Compensation
While the Environmental section concerns itself with indicators such as
- Waste – Solid and Hazardous
- Emissions to Air, Land and Water
- Ozone depleting substances etc
Each of these two divisions will assess how the entire gamut of activities of LAMATA – a Transport sector agency affects the host communities, socially and environmentally.